Fees for Debt recovery
For business to business debt that is undisputed
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|DEBT VALUE||COURT FEE||OUR FEE (inc. VAT)|
Up to £5,000
Court fees are based on a sliding scale depending on the value of our debt and range between £35 for a debt
of up to £300 and £500 for a £10,000 debt.
|£5,001 – £10,000||£700|
|£10,001 – £25,000||5% value of the claim||£900|
|£25,000 – £100,000||5% value of the claim||£1,200|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgment in default
- When Judgment in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 14 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters can take 6-8 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. Time scales can also change depending on the external factors such as how busy a particular court is. This time estimate is also on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Our debt recovery is dealt with by James Eden (Associate – Solicitor). Full details of James can be found on “Our People” page.
The information given here is general, and you will give precise and more personalised information when you contact us directly with regard to your specific circumstances and debt recovery matter. You should only rely on the information given to you personally in our engagement letter with our details and estimate of the costs rather than the more general information you have seen on our website or elsewhere on the subject of our costs.